Thursday, August 25, 2011

PRODUCTION REPORT

This report covers all the issues, problems and solutions of an ongoing production “Hungry for Mushrooms” 3D animation.

Since the semester restarted I am supposed to move onto post-production stage but there are quite number of major problems that I’m experiencing.

Problems: The character was not fully complete; character’s rig didn’t deform very well as I expected it to be, needed to add a mouth that can open and close, 2 ears are needed to be rigged and deform well.

Solutions: So I had to spend a few weeks ahead just to have it fixed. For the first 3 weeks I started working on re-rigging my character until I think it works fine. Even though I didn’t expect it would take that long just to have it rigged because of many small issues keep appearing. It didn’t go smoothly that I had to try different methods and seek for help from teacher and by the end of week 3 the character is animate able.
While other students start working on their post-production I’m a bit too far left behind still finishing production works.

The old textures on the character which I created last semester weren’t that good. It looks kind of yellowish which doesn’t look standout so I decided to create a new one to replace it and this time I made it white instead and it looks just fine. By the end of week 4 I got it done.

Beside the character I need to worry about the unfinished set. I’m still thinking if I want to keep the old texture or make a new one. The mushroom right now for some reasons I can’t skin it and I need to ask the teacher for some help. The texture for the mushroom is done. I also modelled an extra mushroom that doesn’t need be rigged. This mushroom will only need to bend and stretch, and then I’ll duplicate it as many as I need. For the rigged mushroom I will only use it for a couple of last shots when the mushroom eats the bunny. These are tasks I must finish in end of week 5 so that I can catch up for a bit.

I also started looking at the camera shots and to match up with the storyboard to see what works and what doesn’t work. However I still having trouble with camera setting, so I “Printscreen” instead but I will ask during the tutorial classes.

Other issue would be technical issue; working with Maya in my laptop at home is quite frustrating. It crashes every time when I save it as “.ma” but not if I save as “.mb”. So I prefer to work at uni instead. Sometimes during the tutorial class, I need some extra help but the time is limit and others students need help too. So pretty much I have to give it a go by myself and other than that I would be looking at some tutorials or solutions online.

No comments:

Post a Comment